Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Stanley Cup Playoffs

Wow, a roadie to Nashville would be wild. No way for me, but would love to follow along vicariously.

OK, so, when did we change from hockey to tackle football? Because that's what Orpik was just playing on JVR.

The Flyers have let the Pens hang around long enough to get Fleury going again and they just gave them a huge injection of confidence. Fantastic.

I seriously do not think I can stand the amount of Penguins man-gasm we'll have to hear from every announcer if they come back and win this series.

Handshakes in Nashville. Good for the Preds to do it at home -- Rinne has been amazing.

Never would have guessed this would be the first series over.

Quote Originally Posted by IceSun
    Never would have guessed this would be the first series over.
    Before the Playoffs started, I'm not sure I would have agreed with you. It was one of the series I didn't think would go 7 at least; the Wings too old, the Preds too tough, Rinne too good. And without Helm, the Wings team is just too slow.

But certainly after Weber put a bee in the Wings's bonnet and the Wings tied things up 1-1 heading back to the Joe, I figured we'd have a series; and after two other series stood on the brink of sweeps it was definitely a bit of an eyebrow-raiser when one of the broadcasters mentioned it was the first series to end: REALLY?

That's how good this first round has been, isn't it? If this tightly checked series is the first one over?

Pens-Flyers is a series I'm not sure I could do anything other than flip a coin. Lavi has some coaching to do, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by caveman
    I've got no idea what to expect of Pittsburgh-Philly or Detroit-Nash tonight. But if I had to pick:

1. Pittsburgh keeps the series alive, 5-3
    2. Nashville closes it out, 4-2 (empty net 4th)
    Nashville missed their empty net chances, but 2 for 2 winners wise at least. 5 games tonight! Picks:

1. Caps-Bruins -- Caps win 3-2
    2. Devils-Panthers -- Devils 3-1
    3. Senators-Rangers -- Rangers 4-2
    4. Sharks-Blues -- Blues 4-2 to close it out
    5. Hawks-Yotes -- Hawks 4-2 to stay alive

Torres gets 25 game suspension. Though I pulling for the "Yotes, I'm not for him. Good job Shanny.

Wow, 25 games. I don't know enough about what action deserves what length of penalty, so I'm not commenting to that, but I hope it's enough to send a message about the stupid stuff we've been seeing. It's not just about the game, it's about their lives and how they're going to be 25 years from now. (Which is why I'm still kind of mad at MNHLB for hiding his concussion symptoms.)

And, whoooooooo-hooooooooooooooooo, Nashville! I couldn't stay awake for the game last night -- the week had caught up with me -- but I was delighted to see this morning that a southern team had taken down an Original Six, the high-and-mighty Red Wings in a 4-1 series.

25 games. Now THAT is throwing the book.

Sorry for Ray and Phoenix, but agree with C4L that I'm all for Torres getting this.

Won't even try to understand why Neal only got 1 though.

Quote Originally Posted by Caniac4life View Post
    Torres gets 25 game suspension. Though I pulling for the "Yotes, I'm not for him. Good job Shanny.
    Shanny actually did something right. Torres needed to have the book thrown at him. That one hit had 3 No Nos: charging, interference, and intentionally hitting the head. Not to mention a serious injury to Hossa. Add in to the fact that he's been suspended or fined FIVE other times for the same type of hits, something needed to be done. These 2 or 3 games wouldn't be enough for Torres.

Sadly, I still don't think Torres will get the message. I give credit to Cooke changing his ways after he had the book thrown at him, but I just don't believe Torres can and/or will. He just doesn't think he did anything wrong there, said it was a hockey play. No Torres that was not a hockey play.

And Yay for Nashville. Thank you for knocking out the wings and Congrats on advancing.

Quote Originally Posted by IceSun View Post

Won't even try to understand why Neal only got 1 though.
    That's what I'm still hung up on. I understand the differences perfectly well (history, injury, etc) I just don't see 24 games worth of difference for the SAME HIT on TWO players within minutes of each other.

Basing the length of suspension so much on the injury is complete bullsh*t and makes their "commitment to player safety" an absolute joke.

And can we please do something to address the clowns on the ice who didn't even penalize the hit?

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernHockeyChick View Post
    And can we please do something to address the clowns on the ice who didn't even penalize the hit?
    Let's see they've penalized the player who made the hit for 25 games.

They've penalized the coach who complained about the officials not penalizing the player making the hit (which Shanahan says in his review was actually THREE penalties).

So...it must be that the anguish caused by Q complaining about the hit was so debilitating to the refs that not only were they sufficiently shamed and punished by this, but Q had to be fined $10,000 for the excess shame they felt as a result of his completely accurate comments...Oh, never mind. There just is no explanation for the worst officiating in any professional sport. (Quite an achievement with the NBA as a point of comparison)

And Washington 1 game from eliminating the defending champs. Another one I wouldn't have seen coming.

I hope like hell I don't see it happening.

Quote Originally Posted by IceSun View Post
    And Washington 1 game from eliminating the defending champs. Another one I wouldn't have seen coming.
    Adding Backstrom to a team that was already a borderline playoff team; get Ovie and Semin to perform and you've got a dangerous team. Getting the kid Alzner to play like this instead of their playoff liabilities in net? Bonus.

Great game in StL. Big late 2nd goal by Thornton.

And Fl gets the series lead. Sigh.

Florida game was pretty awesome. I just can't pull against them when I'm seeing how hard they're working.

Plus, I have no objection to sending Princess Marty home for the summer ASAP.

I wouldn't have felt strongly either way except for my desire to see Bergenheim golfing.

Sorry Sharks fans - good effort and series though.

LET'S GO BLUES!!

Damn, was hoping the Coyotes would close this out tonight. The Hawks were better tonight, though.

I like the chances for all 3 teams to close out today. Second round is waiting!

Quote Originally Posted by caveman View Post
    I like the chances for all 3 teams to close out today. Second round is waiting!
    Hope it's two (Go Bruins!!).

The extent of my love for Claude Giroux is frightening. And as wound up as I am about this Pens/Flyers game you'd think the Canes were playing. Serious nausea.

And the Empty Net with 7.9 seconds!

Way to go Flyers!

SEE YA Pengiuns!!!