Thread: NCAA Basketball Tournament 2014

Default NCAA Basketball Tournament 2014

Ohio State and Cincinnati are two early upset casualties.

NC State missed 15 free throws (of 31) in regulation to squander a massive lead and the Wolfpack are now in overtime.

There a few posts on this board somewhere that indicate how I'd given up on being a transplant NCState fan because of various stupid things (the strong arm with the bldg, ripping off LSU video, copying the midfield ECU logo thing), but I really grew to enjoy watching them play BBall this season despite my "decision", lol.

I'm surprised how annoyed/nervous I was on their behalf last night. At one point I said aloud "why am I so tense about this?" and my husband said the same thing!

What awful heartbreaking loss, I can't imagine it for people that have been fans for 30+ years.

Later upsets included NDSU knocking out OU. Those are so fun to watch!

I hate basketball for the most part and know absolutely nothing about it and generally would watch almost nothing of this tournament--really only see bits and pieces to see some upsets and some teams I hate lose. This year I got suckered into participate in our work bracket so I'm paying a bit of attention. That State game was horrible. I really am just starting to believe PNC Arena needs to meet up with a bunch of dynamite.

I'm like you E---had become annoyed with a lot about State so had tried to write them off. But I just feel I'm pulling for that team and Gottfried. So I'll dislike the administration and the fans (sorry--if it makes you feel any better I prefer State fans to UNC fans) but like the team, I guess.

OU losing was awesome but screwed up my bracket last night! As did State losing and Harvard winning, though I had picked that until Mr SHC talked me out of it. He's in a big old doghouse, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernHockeyChick View Post
    I'm like you E---had become annoyed with a lot about State so had tried to write them off. But I just feel I'm pulling for that team and Gottfried. So I'll dislike the administration and the fans (sorry--if it makes you feel any better I prefer State fans to UNC fans) but like the team, I guess.
    Yup -- I have to admit I thought State would just crap their pants this season after having such a talented group last year that didn't meet the expectations and then losing them all. He (Gott) did a fine job after all. TJ Warren so fun to watch.

And a completely random comment. What's with male athletes that choose to grow their hair long and NOT contain it? Every time I see it (Jett on SLU, Kyle Beckerman on the soccer MNT, as 2 examples) I think it's SO VAIN! Do you see women athletes that have long hair and not using pony tails? No because having all that hair on your neck is damn hot. At least Jett pulled it off his face, but all that hair around his neck and on his back?

Can't imagine the sports psychologist bills in the future of NC State players after all those missed free throws and out-of-character turnovers. A literally historic crumbling.

Quote Originally Posted by nccanes View Post
    And a completely random comment. What's with male athletes that choose to grow their hair long and NOT contain it? Every time I see it (Jett on SLU, Kyle Beckerman on the soccer MNT, as 2 examples) I think it's SO VAIN! Do you see women athletes that have long hair and not using pony tails? No because having all that hair on your neck is damn hot. At least Jett pulled it off his face, but all that hair around his neck and on his back?
    That's something I comment on all the time! I would not be able to STAND it! My hair has to come off my neck every time it gets above 75 degrees. (I'd cut it off but I'd pretty much look like middle-aged Annie if I did.)

Meanwhile, Mercer's staying pretty close with Duke in the early game today. I lost two "Sweet 16" picks yesterday (NC State and Oklahoma) and also missed the Cincinnati and Ohio State upsets. Otherwise intact.

I'm pulling so so hard for NCCU and Coach Moton. I really have no connection to him other than he coached at my kids HS (though neither played for him) and was my oldest's teacher briefly before he went to NCCU.

By all accounts a great guy who has done a fantastic job with NCCU. Someone from WRAL found a photo of him when he was a student at Enloe and receiving the Extra Effort Award from a young Tom Suiter. I have no idea if this stat is correct, but it was reported that something like 2500 kids grew up in the same projects he did and only 5 attended college.

Anyway - they play late tonight and he is w/o his wife and kids because his young son (1) was badly burned by coffee early this week and is still in the hospital. Talk about perspective and experiencing the literal pinnacle of your career (thus far) at the same time your worst fears as a parent.

Go NCCU!

Wow. Duke goes down to Mercer, who played great defense, ran good half-court offense, and Duke is out. And so goes one of my Elite Eight picks!

And, WOW, nccanes, I hadn't heard about Coach Moton's son. That's awful.

Quote Originally Posted by caveman View Post
    Wow. Duke goes down to Mercer, who played great defense, ran good half-court offense, and Duke is out. And so goes one of my Elite Eight picks!

And, WOW, nccanes, I hadn't heard about Coach Moton's son. That's awful.
    Yeah, the Duke result? Wow. And I was ROLLING watching the little white guy doing his dance after the game with all his teammates around him! The studio guys for CBS were loving it. Too fun.

Here's the article Luke wrote about Moton's son.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/03/...ournament.html

It indicates he was burned in the face.

Even in heartbreak, Coach Moton is rather eloquent.

“I walk into an incredible hotel that looks like an apartment and I’m in there by myself,” Moton said. “It just doesn’t feel the same with my son and my daughter and my wife who sacrifice so much to allow me to become a better person and a better basketball coach, and this unfortunate situation, this unfortunate accident, and they’re not here. That’s my ritual before the game.

“So that’s humbled me. That’s put the pin to my balloon right there. So I’ve just got to get myself together, which I will, to go coach these 12, 13 young men that we have.”

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/03/...#storylink=cpy