Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Off Season Thread

Default 2016 Off Season Thread

I apologize to anyone that is offended that I started this thread with 2 game to go!

I had a thought/question. I know Gerbe hasn't had the greatest year (yes, he was injured) but I was wondering about his impact/mentorship of Hanifin. You think that will factor in on if they choose to offer him another contract? His contract is up after this season right?

Clearly this struck me when Hanifin noted his input prior to the SO last night. Reminded me that he's living with them (not that he'd necessarily next year either way) and how much Hanifin has mentioned him throughout the season.

Yeah, we might as well have an off season thread, we didn't even bother with a game day thread yesterday, lol. (We won in a shootout whoooo!)

Mr Socal noted after Hanifn made that SO comment last night, that Gerbe needs to have a contract next season so he can get to that magical 400 NHL games played/i.e. pension eligibility (only Mr. Socal would think about this, lol) ---- that said, Hanifin, at every turn, has said something about Gerbe/ his family when a mic is in front of him. It's clear to me, that Gerbe has been impactful as a mentor. He has had injury bad luck, for sure, but he reminds me SO much of Kevyn Adams in that sincere, I'm just so blessed to be playing thing he gives off, that with this young crowd we've got going here, it will not hurt us to have Gerbe back- I'd guess GM RF would want some of that veteran leadership that Gerbe brings & it won't cost a ton. I'm not opposed.

GM RF sure has a lot on his plate in the off season. :-0

Remember when we all complained about Chad LaRose? What's the difference between LaRose and Gerbe, other than height? Gerbe averages about 29 points per 82 games, same as LaRose did. Gerbe is making $2 million this year, a bit more than LaRose made in his last year. We might need that salary to reach the cap floor next year, but I'd like to think we could do better than a $2 million guy that gives us 29 points a year.

Well I guess the difference is that he didn't have #5 draft pick living with him and singing his praises?

Honestly, it's probably a good comparison (hockey wise), so that's my question. Does his relationship/mentorship for Hanifin factor in?

I think the Gerbes are expecting another baby, so perhaps they'd prefer to stay put and a reasonable contract can be reached?

Quote Originally Posted by andyt View Post
    Remember when we all complained about Chad LaRose? What's the difference between LaRose and Gerbe, other than height?
    Gerbe isn't being played on top 2 lines?

(I'm not arguing either way that just struck me as a difference)

I agree that for what Gerbe brings, he is overpaid. But the difference between Gerbe and LaRose-- Gerbe brings a lot of grit and jam. He's the sandpaper this team needs. I'd like to think Gerbe gets his pension, but if the Canes can upgrade, go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernHockeyChick View Post
    Gerbe isn't being played on top 2 lines?

(I'm not arguing either way that just struck me as a difference)
    He has been, just not with the frequency of LaRose. And I think that 1) speaks more to the depth of the organization now compared to a few years ago and 2) when the kids are called up from Charlotte, they're not buried on the 4th line, they're playing on a line befitting their skills.

Quote Originally Posted by ontheboards View Post
    I agree that for what Gerbe brings, he is overpaid. But the difference between Gerbe and LaRose-- Gerbe brings a lot of grit and jam. He's the sandpaper this team needs. I'd like to think Gerbe gets his pension, but if the Canes can upgrade, go for it!
    LaRose did too. He was a pest who was near the top of the league in penalties drawn one year. Part of that is probably what SHC alluded too; that he was playing top 6 minutes. But part was that he was a Grade A pest.

I think Gerbe gets his pension. It may not be with the Canes. We have a lot of young forwards that are going to push for playing time next year...Ryan (OK, he's not young), McGinn, Tolchinsky, Aho, Wallmark, Roy, etc. He may have to take a big pay cut, even if he goes elsewhere. But he's going to get 6 more games.

I was thinking more along the lines of aguy likely to drop gloves and back up his mouth with the ocassional fight. I don't think I saw LaRose in a fight. I know Gerbe is never one to be intimidated.

I fully see where andyt is coming from. There's truly not much difference between the two, and i'd point directly to Gerbe in any discussion of why Larose didn't return - he was essentially a fresh face who provided the exact same things Larose did, at a time when Larose was in less-than-good graces after his exit interview refusal. The Hanifin mentorship is just the dollop of whipped cream on top.

That said, i like having a Hurricane who provides the pesty little spark Larose and now Gerbe provide. I just feel like Larose closed his own door, whereas Gerbe hasn't. Is Gerbe just as replaceable as Larose was? Most definitely. Would someone else take Hanifin under his wing the same way Gerbe has? Most definitely. Would i just as soon have Gerbe in that spot as someone else who could provide the same traits? Most definitely. Will i cry if someone else takes his spot? Not in the slightest. I'd fairly miss the little guy, though.

Gerbe is playing on the top 2 lines because somebody has to. He was being scratched fairly regularly before the trade deadline. I imagine that one this season is done, Gerbe will be done as a Canes player too. I see it a lot differently than the LaRose issue.

Quote Originally Posted by MoBigRed View Post
    That said, i like having a Hurricane who provides the pesty little spark Larose and now Gerbe provide. I just feel like Larose closed his own door, whereas Gerbe hasn't. Is Gerbe just as replaceable as Larose was? Most definitely. Would someone else take Hanifin under his wing the same way Gerbe has? Most definitely. Would i just as soon have Gerbe in that spot as someone else who could provide the same traits? Most definitely. Will i cry if someone else takes his spot? Not in the slightest. I'd fairly miss the little guy, though.
    This is me exactly. (Except I think that Gerbe's wing is larger than anyone else in this particular case, given that he's living with them. The Boston/BC connection is probably a little unique.)

I presume that people closer to the situation have a better vantage point as to how instrumental Gerbe's influence in Hanifin's rookie year was. If they think it was (is?) important -- I'll trust them. The Gerbes are expecting another baby so perhaps Hanifin would find his own place anyway, but I could see him having a place on the 4th line and in the locker room.

Here's a (non Hurricanes) off season question.

Is there anywhere that shows the 'date ranges' for each leg of the Playoffs? We are going to be in NYC the beginning of June and realized that with both the NYR and NYI in the playoffs, there's a chance there will be playoff hockey on going. I doubt we can afford to find tickets even if by some stroke of luck there's a game in town, but it might be fun to go to a locals bar on a game night.

Quote Originally Posted by nccanes View Post
    Here's a (non Hurricanes) off season question.

Is there anywhere that shows the 'date ranges' for each leg of the Playoffs? We are going to be in NYC the beginning of June and realized that with both the NYR and NYI in the playoffs, there's a chance there will be playoff hockey on going. I doubt we can afford to find tickets even if by some stroke of luck there's a game in town, but it might be fun to go to a locals bar on a game night.
    The closest thing I could find was that the Finals start on June 1. Last year, the playoffs started on April 15 and the finals started on June 3. The playoffs will start this year on the 12th or 13th so the June 1 date makes sense.

Hey--are we doing the playoff pool?

I hope so SHC I've enjoyed the playoff pool- it's been a lot of fun. I'm ready to join in the playoff pool fun. I think this year will be interesting!

We are headed home to San Diego in a matter of hours & Mr Socal & I woke up to the schedule for PO's & realize we'll be able to attend a Ducks or Kings (or Both) playoff game, and sure enough they play on Thurs & Fri. We've got a log jam of obligations in San Diego, OC and the other side of LA - so my guess is we get one of the two games in; I really want to try to do both, but that may be a stretch. Plus good friends of ours picked up tickets to the San Diego Gulls game so basically, I'm saying we've got a mess on our hands, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by andyt View Post
    The closest thing I could find was that the Finals start on June 1. Last year, the playoffs started on April 15 and the finals started on June 3. The playoffs will start this year on the 12th or 13th so the June 1 date makes sense.
    Thanks! We should be in NYC while they are ongoing then. Now to pull for the NYR to get there I guess.

I think we'd have to win the lottery in order to actually GET tickets to a game, but it might be fun to be there during (or catch a game in a locals bar).

Shell is offline I can see your five-hole Forum Admin
    All Star

I will try and do it or I am happy to pass the reigns over to someone else if there is an interest.

p.s., I am super busy today and tonight so if someone wants to start off the thread with the rules and put the teams that are playing in an order, that would be super fantastic. Otherwise I might not get it until tomorrow which gives less time.

I will be glad to start the thread! Assuming same rules as usual.

I'm also happy to help with data compilation just not sure I can do the pretty charts, etc you always do....I'm not Ninja level at Excel like you are(plus, just switched to Mac so I guess I'm a Numbers person at home now!).

Shell is offline I can see your five-hole Forum Admin
    All Star

Thanks a million!! This could be a beautiful partnership I can still do the excel.

Quote Originally Posted by Shell View Post
    Thanks a million!! This could be a beautiful partnership I can still do the excel.
    Just let me know what help you need---happy to plug in picks, or whatever you need!

Heads up that Select-A-Seat is earlier than normal this year: June 7,8 and 9

Our rep told us it would be moved up- I like it; July always is busy travel wise for us, June less so, I like this

I still have not renewed. I'm still on the fence.

We're out of town until June 8. So even with my low priority, I'm presuming that would be the date I'd be going (as a full STH).

Have no idea what we're going to do

We'll be on a plane the evening of the 7th---forget if we're usually 1st or 2nd day. Doubtful we'd move anyway, despite the lack of consistent people around us in our current spot. At least it's not usually a bunch of opposing fans!!

So the Canes will pick 13th in the upcoming draft:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/2...-win-top-pick/