Thread: 2016 Free Agent Frenzy

Default 2016 Free Agent Frenzy

Lots of signings today. Most notable from a 'Canes perspective: E Staal to Minn, 3 years, $3.5m per. Slight less relevant: Ladd to Islanders, 7 years, $5.5m per.

Quote Originally Posted by wa10 View Post
    Lots of signings today. Most notable from a 'Canes perspective: E Staal to Minn, 3 years, $3.5m per. Slight less relevant: Ladd to Islanders, 7 years, $5.5m per.
    It's very telling, how much Ladd got compared to Staal.

Quote Originally Posted by MoBigRed View Post
    It's very telling, how much Ladd got compared to Staal.
    Staal has a lot to prove now. His stint in NY was a disaster. I meant "less relevant" because we're a few more season removed from Ladd who's had good stints in Atl/Win and Chi. I still find it incredibly depressing that the only thing we have left from that #4 overall draft pick is a conditional third round pick next year.

Quote Originally Posted by wa10 View Post
    Staal has a lot to prove now. His stint in NY was a disaster. I meant "less relevant" because we're a few more season removed from Ladd who's had good stints in Atl/Win and Chi. I still find it incredibly depressing that the only thing we have left from that #4 overall draft pick is a conditional third round pick next year.
    JR made some good trades, and he made some bad trades. I still, and always will, consider trading Ladd for Ruutu to be one of his worst. Ruutu endeared himself to fans by getting a black eye in his first game, but all he ever really contributed past that was one 26-goal season and 6 years of stupid penalties. But i get it - can't hold on to Ladd when you're giving Staal the keys to the franchise.

I'll always wonder where this team would have gone if instead of going all-in with one and letting the other go, he had signed them both to reasonable contracts. But 'reasonable contracts' and 'JR' don't come within 100 feet of each other.

Meanwhile:

* Riley Nash to Boston, 2 years
    * Brad Malone to Washington, 1 year
    * Chris Terry to Montreal, 1 year

Oh, and I forgot to mention that Gerbe signed with the Rangers as well. (He had previously signed with a Swiss team, too.)