Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You Will Be Missed Shawn (Canesluver)

Default You Will Be Missed Shawn (Canesluver)

I know this place is kind of dormant these days, but I felt like the LGC community would want to know that our own Canesluver (Shawn Stewart-Larson) lost her battle with Cancer early this morning. Her husband Steve posted the update on Facebook.

I'm so heartbroken for her and Steve. Her posts here showed what a fun and positive person she was, but for those of use who knew her in real life, well, she was a gift of a friend and made everything more fun.

My brain is a scramble of things I'd like to say about her and just plain grief. So I'll just post a photo from 2006 that, to me, is how I think of Shawn. That wonderful smile and enjoying life.

I will miss my friend.

it really sucks to hear this.

She will be missed by many.

I've been kind of on the fringe here for a while, check in today and see this.

I hate this news. I didn't know her other than through this board, but felt she was a "friend".

Thank you for sharing this. I loved her posts... she will be missed.

:-(

Never had the opportunity to meet her, but she always seemed so optimistic and was a mainstay on this board for years.

What people say and how they remember you are a testament of how you lived your life- seems like she lived large and that many valued her friendship. That's a good life!

I could tell a bunch of stories, but I'll just share this recent one.

Yesterday, I decided to try and locate that photo. I knew she'd been in the N&O and I wanted to find it. I tried searching at the N&O site to no avail. I ended up finding the thread here on LGC where it was posted, but no one included a link (probably wouldn't have worked anyway) but I got the "headline" from the cut/paste and googled that. Was able to find the N&O page at issuu.com and just screen scraped it.

I then decided to ask Brooke Cain (and N&O staffer) if there was a way to find the original photo (since this one is tiny). She was SO nice and helpful in trying (but unsuccessful), but she did send me a PDF of that page (it was the front Page!) and said another staffer who was out yesterday would look thru their DVDs of photos and even contact the photographer if needed (no longer with the N&O). Seriously good people there!

Anyway - she and I were DMing on Twitter and she added "the caption is hilarious. she sounds like a cool person". And it was perfect....Shawn's essence was conveyed in 1 photo and 1 caption and someone who had never met her could see that.

If you get a better version of that pic I definitely want it. I already stole it off Twitter this morning but a good one would be awesome.

Lots of tears today.

I don't think Art posts here anymore, but as his FB post is public figured I would share it here too:

https://www.facebook.com/apolinario/...54362876729357

rip to Shawn Stewart Larson, and condolences to her husband Steve. I just learned of her passing this morning peacefully after her cancer battle. Shawn and I first met on letsgocanes.com and were online friends through the Stanley cup playoffs where her underwear became an infamous good luck charm for the team. One day she had an open invite to see one of her plays at Theater in the Park where she did costume design. great experience for me and the kids seeing brier patch. And I found out she and her husband learned their costume and set design craft at Tulane, my med school alma mater! Once She had asked for advice on acoustic music and I was happy to oblige. Next thing I know I'm listed as music advisor to a play she directed, An American Daughter, and my name was listed in the playbook! I was honored. I loved going to see a Christmas Carol every year and seeing how the costuming changed so slightly each time. When I got divorced she was one of my angels who consoled me and invited me once again to the theater so I could lose myself a little. She allowed me to assist in her cancer journey through a hypnosis session, but I wished I could do more. But in the end Shawn, through all the memories, I truly will miss our bottom line friendship. Strong friendships that last as the canes tank are strong ones . All I know is the angels will have better outfits from now on. Love you :...(

Yes -- I have to say that Brooke and Juli at the N&O were on this like it was a mission of their own. They both wrote me emails saying how touched they were and how the photo and caption told her story. I mean, *their* emails made me cry. Brooke even said she'd looked at the PDF page/photo copy several times yesterday.

I have a JPG now that is bigger/better quality. I'll share it with whomever would like it.

Oh I have been in a fog since I got the news this AM that Shawn is gone. Reading y'all's posts is making me cry. I had to leave work because I couldn't continue stop the tears.

All you need to know about her is on her FB page. The tributes and posts are comforting yet they all break my heart. Shawn loved her Theater in the Park peeps with a passion and in the same breath, she loved LGC and loved her Canes. These last several years and her battle have been brutally tough. Never once while sitting with her at chemo treatments or when she was admitted to Rex, did she ever complain- that sunny disposition was her nature even at the worst of times. She made me laugh, we'd sit thru practices just chatting about everything in life and she always brightened my day even when I was my snarly cranky self.

This picture makes me hoot; E is so right this captures Shawn's essence SO much - I remember when it made the N&O and what a celeb she became. I remember the night in the middle of airport standing there receiving a swatch of the Lucky Undies in 2006. She was also an expert s'more maker as I recall in 2006, had the touch on melted chocolate and the toasty bits of the marshmallow.

I could go on, but now, the tears have re-appeared. My joy is only that she's no longer suffering, and that she went in Peace. My gut wrenching sadness comes for her hubby and love of her life, Steve, who is equally incredible. Pray for him now and in the days and months ahead. Her loss will hurt him the most.

I will miss looking over my shoulder or over to the next section in 123 and see them both over there cheering on the Canes. Hockey is what brought us together, but I'm so lucky it was much much more. RIP my girl, until we meet again.

I just heard. This is so sad, I just can't believe it. :'(

She gave me a copy of this pic from the celebration after we won the Cup. It was my favorite pic ever, it's been in my hallway for 10 years.

RIP Shawn.

Quote Originally Posted by caveman View Post
    I don't think Art posts here anymore, but as his FB post is public figured I would share it here too:

https://www.facebook.com/apolinario/...54362876729357
    First time in my life I have ever wished I was on Facebook. Thanks for sharing that.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernHockeyChick View Post
    First time in my life I have ever wished I was on Facebook. Thanks for sharing that.
    Me too. I did not know her...Other than through this board.

But we seemed to share a lot. I am a Tulane graduate. I love music (theater...not so much). My wife continues to battle cancer-lymphoma (started in 2006 during the cup run, continues now with some pretty intense stuff coming this summer).

Cancer sucks, but great spirits conquer cancer---during life and after.

You are missed, CanesLuver

I finally thought of something I wanted to share. All day, I've just felt empty and couldn't really find words that seemed worth it. But I just remember something that is just so Shawn.

Shawn used to cat sit for us sometimes when we would go on vacation. Now she has always had dogs since I've known her but she just likes all animals I think. Well one particularly long for us trip I remember being sort of anxious about leaving our cat so long. We don't have kids so our cats are our babies and this was our first cat together---she was super, super special--and we're crazy cat parents. When we returned home we found a book Shawn had made for us with pictures and the story of how our kitty had spent HER vacation. She'd photoshopped her in various locations and had pictures of the two of them reading and doing other activities together. It was one of the awesomest, coolest, most amazing and Shawn-like things ever.

That's just who she was.

RIP Shawn... and peace be with all who knew her on LGC or elsewhere. Cancer sucks and takes way too many good folks way too early.

IceSun is offline He Knows Lines Aren't Permanent Starter

Learned of this yesterday from SoCal on Twitter. Although I never was lucky enough to have the honor of meeting her in person, I loved sharing the LGC experience with her and shall greatly miss my "birthday buddy"

RIP Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by Convert View Post
    But we seemed to share a lot. I am a Tulane graduate. I love music (theater...not so much). My wife continues to battle cancer-lymphoma (started in 2006 during the cup run, continues now with some pretty intense stuff coming this summer).
    Best wishes and strength to you and your wife!

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernHockeyChick View Post
    I finally thought of something I wanted to share. All day, I've just felt empty and couldn't really find words that seemed worth it. But I just remember something that is just so Shawn.

Shawn used to cat sit for us sometimes when we would go on vacation. Now she has always had dogs since I've known her but she just likes all animals I think. Well one particularly long for us trip I remember being sort of anxious about leaving our cat so long. We don't have kids so our cats are our babies and this was our first cat together---she was super, super special--and we're crazy cat parents. When we returned home we found a book Shawn had made for us with pictures and the story of how our kitty had spent HER vacation. She'd photoshopped her in various locations and had pictures of the two of them reading and doing other activities together. It was one of the awesomest, coolest, most amazing and Shawn-like things ever.

That's just who she was.
    I don't think I've ever heard that story (or if I did I've forgotten it). What a wonderful thing to do, but it's awesome and so Shawn! Thanks for sharing it.

People are as happy as they make up their minds to be

I haven't been here for a while but I saw this on Twitter yesterday and wanted to come here and add my feelings for Shawn. I only met her one time. She graciously gave me a STH special practice ticket for our older grandson to attend years ago - in the days before we picked up Greensboro Hurricanes' STH seat for him. (Bruce - Greensboro Hurricanes - another sad LGC loss). Anyway, we met up during intermission of a game. I felt I knew Shawn from her posts here, though. I always thought she was talented, generous, positive, and lived life vigorously. When I showed up here in 2006 - an enthusiastic fan who didn't know a lot about hockey at the time but wanted to learn - she was one of those here who made me feel welcome. She will indeed be missed.

Oh wow SHC- I love that story- I don't remember hearing it, it's Shawn to a T.

Hyena- that pic from the parade is one of my faves too, Makes me think of her every time I pull it out and look at it.

The tributes being posted on FB make it worth being on FB. There are so many people who were touched by and loved her.

I sent a quick email to Scott Laughlin and Joe Thistel from SiriusXMNHL channel to let them know Shawn had passed away. If you all recall she and Steve went to Toronto and visited the whole team and were on air in this cool Q&A about the "Caniacs" Joe was here for the ASG in 2011 and I could feel the devastation in his email back when I told him. He knew she was ill just didn't realize how bad. Scotty did a really nice tribute to her on air yesterday afternoon. Was so nicely done.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalcaniac View Post

I sent a quick email to Scott Laughlin and Joe Thistel from SiriusXMNHL channel to let them know Shawn had passed away. If you all recall she and Steve went to Toronto and visited the whole team and were on air in this cool Q&A about the "Caniacs" Joe was here for the ASG in 2011 and I could feel the devastation in his email back when I told him. He knew she was ill just didn't realize how bad. Scotty did a really nice tribute to her on air yesterday afternoon. Was so nicely done.
    I had forgotten that she was in studio up there! I saw Shell's photo posted on FB with her the phone with the XM gang live before a playoff game. I remember us running around (toward the plaza area) as she "reported".

Some of us who knew Shawn well are planning to meet up a raise a few brews to her tomorrow at 4pm at Compass Rose Brewery. (Also a chance to say hi to Guin while she's here from Boise.) Anyone who would like is welcome to join. Feel free to spread it around to anyone who doesn't check in here much anymore.

I believe I only met Shawn in passing once. By the time I started to get involved enough here to meet y'all in person, I think she was starting to get sick and/or was diagnosed, so our paths did not cross except occasionally and briefly. But it was always very obvious to me what she meant to those who knew here (especially the tales and pics from her cancer treatment, with so many of you by her side), so when ncc invited me to join the gathering yesterday, I felt it was perhaps the best tribute I could make to her (and my friendships with those I do know) -- that a gathering of old and new Canes friends would likely have her seal of approval. While I hate the circumstances that brought us together yesterday evening, it was nice to meet and/or see those who could make it.

My heart has been heavy the last few days for those who have lost her. I know there are so many wonderful memories, but your heart breaks that there is not the opportunity to make more -- I hope the ones you carry, the ones that make you smile and laugh and say, "Typical Shawn," comfort you in your grief.

Yes -- it was great to see some friends and toast Shawn yesterday. Thanks for coming Kermie!

As puck_it (who said "I can't even remember my f****** LGC password ") said -- hated that it was under these circumstances, but was nice to see such nice people and make each other smile, laugh, and take turns not being able to finish a story.

Here's a story that I read on Shawn's FB page, posted by Hayes Permar. It's a blog post from a member of A Christmas Carol's cast, who also lost his wife to cancer. Hayes is his Brother-in-Law. Anyway, it's a story about finding something 5 years after his wife's death. Shawn's name isn't even listed, but it describes how Shawn took care of people she cared about.

https://therealfullhouse.wordpress.c...unday-post-41/

I wish I had seen the thing about meeting on Saturday. I went to the Canes Summer Fest and could have stuck around for the afternoon.

I was so glad to hear via IM from puck_it that he was heading to Compass, and also hearing Kermie that you went too. So awesome.

I was happy to hear E's reporting of the afternoon gathering. I had great intentions to be there especially to tell a hilarious Shawn story that keeps popping into my head- It's seriously hilarious, but my own family crisis that came up right after we left Summerfest, just put me in a place that was not pretty and I would have been a horrid guest. It has been a hellacious several days, including having my smartphone of 9-10 months of age, literally go kaput on me and now I'm waiting for a replacement. That's trivial of course, it's just been all the other stuff that have me sorta reeling.

SHC or E, is Guin staying til Saturday? I really wanted to see her and give her a huge hug. She was like Shawn's sister in many respects.

To Shawn.....