Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: Pet Thread

I have to say, when I saw that superdave was the most recent poster in this thread, I was really hope it was a "Our Pet Goat" update.

Quote Originally Posted by kermelbar View Post
    I have to say, when I saw that superdave was the most recent poster in this thread, I was really hope it was a "Our Pet Goat" update.
    Ah...no.

Default Adopting a Rescued Dog

I posted this today on my FB page based on some information about a former foster of mine that I received today. To this day, I regret letting him get adopted that day. Now, I don't know about all rescue groups, but I do know how mine is...and I have faith, that each and every dog that comes through goes through a myriad of tests and procedures to get them in the best health BEFORE THEY GET ADOPTED.

"Rescuing a dog from a Rescue group or a shelter is a noble thing to do in my opinion. However, one must realize that much may not be known about said dog. Rescue groups and I suppose shelters, do their best to "vet" the dog. They do their best to find out any problems and "fix" them. But in the end, when a dog is picked up off the street, their previous years are...lost. The dog is an "unknown." Their life and medical history begins again.

Once you adopt that dog, their future issues become yours. You are given everything that is possibly known about them so that you can know what had happened to them from the day they were picked up to the day you took them home. You made the choice to adopt that dog based on the information that was provided to you. What happens after that, well, you have your own choices to make. There are no "lifetime guarantees." You might have that dog for a short time or a long time.

My dog Rosey was "adopted" in 2008. Since that time, I know I have spent countless hours and dollars on her for all of her medical issues: Allergies, UTI's, Dry eyes, seizures, arthritic pain. Did I know all of this when she became mine? Of course I didn't. But I'm not going to blame anyone for this. I'm going to be the best mom to her I can be and help her however I can. I do not know where she came from. I know NOTHING about her life before me. NOTHING. But I do love her even though she drives me crazy (Really Rosey, 5am every single day?!??!!!)

I've had a dog that was with me from puppy to old age. I've had a cat that was with me from tiny, tiny kitten to the day I had to say goodbye to her in my vet's office. I wouldn't trade those two for anything in the world. But, having worked with rescue, I've learned to give love to a dog that may have never had it before. I would rather take care of, to the best of my abilities, a dog that may have never been taken care of before...to ease their pain, give them comfort, give them love.

I know from here on, that rescuing a dog off of the street, or from a horrible situation, I can have no expectations of a "perfect" dog (and Midget was quite perfect if I do say so myself ). But I am not perfect. Why should I expect a dog to be?"

I just wanted to share because I'm a tad bit frustrated and angry today.

Well, now that a lot of Duke's hair has come back, and he's learned how to live in a house (believe me, getting on a couch and on a bed were foreign to him), he's off on a new adventure...his forever home!

I really loved this guy and by God, I made him know it so that he could know love. Just in the past week or two he's really started wanting to be near me or lying on me so, I know he's going to do good with his new family. He likes the indoor life

So...#5 leaves my life and this one kinda breaks my heart a bit.

Aw...that's such a sweet story.

Duke was lucky to have you for a Mommy-- even if it was only temporary.

Few updates on Oliva she is now 8 months old and doing well.

Loves her toys

At the NRGR Rescue Lake Swim... not swimmingyet

And passed out after spending 3 hours off lease on the lake swim.

Sticking pins in my Red Wings voodoo dolls

Pet rescue!

Since I was last here, we have a new boy in the house.

I was in training for my job last November, when I got a text from Poor Hubby about a lost cat. I e-mailed him asking for details, and from what he told me, this is what happened:

Poor Hubby comes home from store. He gets out of the car, and immediately a little cow-cat comes trotting up to him and starts meowing and chirping at him, rubbing up on him, &c. So Poor Hubby, being the nice old man that he is, went into the house and got some food and water, which he set outside for the little cow-cat. Cow-cat starts eating, Poor Hubby goes into the apartment. All of a sudden, he hears meowing outside, and looks outside to see the little cow-cat trotting up and down the stairs outside our apartment, meowing like he's looking for somebody.

So Poor Hubby opened the door, and the little cow-cat walked right into the house, whereupon Poor Hubby picked him up and carried him to the bathroom along with food, water, and a shoebox with some cat litter in it.

Then he sends me this picture:

(hopefully that works)

Now, at first he thought that this cat was a girl, so he dubbed her Cassie. When I met the kitty (Poor Hubby brought him with when he came to get me from work), I turned him around and said "This isn't a girl--this is a boy who's been fixed. And since we have other boy cats, you should have recognised that."

And so his name was immediately changed from Cassie to Castiel.

Quote Originally Posted by StormShaman View Post
    Pet rescue!

And so his name was immediately changed from Cassie to Castiel.
    I think Castrated would have been a better name.

Sticking pins in my Red Wings voodoo dolls

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    I think Castrated would have been a better name.
    Yeeeeahno.

StormShaman-I've been wodering about you!! You seemed to have fallen off the face of the earth. I miss your convenience store stories! to get abck on subject-cute cat!!

My dog did it again and I helped. My beautiful Pepper (blue merle Australian Shepherd) found yet another pack of Orbit chewing gum in my gym bag and ate it. She did this about eight months ago and required a two night emergency vet stay. Last night, as I was getting ready to go to bed, I found the empty gum wrapper at her feet. I took her back into the emergency vet and yep, her glucose was low. The sweetner in Orbit gum, Stride, etc... is toxic to animals and can make them go into seizures from hypoglycemia or suffer liver failure.

Last time, Pepper ate an entire pack of Orbit. This time, maybe 6-8 pieces.

I feel like sh!t and so does my dog. She's stable and will likely stay another night in hospital just to make sure everything works its way out of her system.

If anyone wants info:

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet...y-in-dogs/4340

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?A=2875

I think it's time to give-up chewing gum! (stuff's not good for humans, either)

Hope your pup's feeling better.

Quote Originally Posted by Canesluver View Post
    I think it's time to give-up chewing gum! (stuff's not good for humans, either)

Hope your pup's feeling better.
    A step ahead of you. Rummaged through every coat pocket, car console, gym bag, knapsack, purse, kitchen drawer, etc... and collected every single pack of chewing gum. A gallon size ziploc sits on my desk at my office-- away from my house and my dog. The gum was my answer to a 2 1/2 pack a day smoking habit. Working on giving up the gum....

Aww, poor puppy! (And poor you, too). Hope she's feeling all better soon!

IceSun is offline He Knows Lines Aren't Permanent Starter

Hope pup is doing better today!

She's home, fiesty and with perfectly normal lab work. All is well in her world.

Again folks, XYLITOL is toxic to dogs and cats.

Default :(

I started this thread 8 and 1/2 years ago. Here's my final post, in case you wanted to know:

Goodbye, My Rosey Love

Shell is offline I can see your five-hole Forum Admin
    All Star

I am so very sorry!