LetsGoCanes.com

Go Back   LetsGoCanes.com > General Discussion > The Poll Booth
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Ticket Exchange Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Between Now and Year End (not season end), what do you think happens with the Canes?
Same ol', same ol' -- no better, no worse, no changes. 9 25.00%
Canes get their act together as team health improves. 13 36.11%
Things get worse, but we still see no changes. 3 8.33%
Laviolette is replaced. 10 27.78%
We see a big trade, maybe a veteran player. 1 2.78%
Other. Explain in comments. 0 0%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-14-2008, 03:33 PM
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck_it View Post
who would you shed?
JR needs to pull the trigger on a high profile guy/fan favorite to shake things up and then if that doesn't work, then Lavi goes. I'm not sure if there's an NTC involved, I've looked but can't find one. We only have two young players with a perceived trade value (Cam and Staal). Staal is locked up with an NTC so he's staying and should be scratched until he is 100% ( I hate it that he is sometimes the 3rd best Eric on the ice and we only have one now). So we need a #1 goalie and Cam isn't it, yes he's a fan favorite and yes he had an amazing run in '06, but he's only a #2 goalie with maybe better potential in another system. I'm not hanging all of our problems and losses on Cam, he just happens to be a guy that will give us something in return.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:30 PM
Jinxing Sports Teams Since 1973
Hall of Famer

^ Damn, I wish I'd gotten in here to make my request that you tell us who you would trade realistically before you posted it! Not saying Cam isn't realistic.....if you can answer this question, maybe he is: who do we get to fill the spot? What #1 goalie is available (cause Leighton sure isn't a #1, either)?

Oh...wait! Nevermind! All our problems are solved! Cue the Hallelujah chorus!! Quick, fire Lavi......Melrose is available now!!
Old 11-14-2008, 05:23 PM
Resident Grump
Forum Admin
Legend

Send a message via Yahoo to Guyute

Trading Cam is quite an interesting take. He is one of our few moveable guys that would bring some kind of return. But yes, who is out there that would take over #1? It's rare teams will come off a definite #1 goalie. Cam might draw one out because A) he's young, B) the league saw what he's capable of in the '06 run... although B1) the league has seen a lot of Cam that is NOT the one in that run. lol

I'm not saying we should move him. Just that it's an interesting idea.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:30 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyute View Post
B1) the league has seen a lot of Cam that is NOT the one in that run. lol
I don't think that's an issue. For one thing, the majority of the league (IMO) goes on reputation more than how a player is actually performing. Just say "Conn Smyth rookie year" and they'll assume he's fantastic. Anyone who is actually paying attention has probably also noticed that the team in front of him has sucked a** an awful lot and that if he actually had some support he'd probably be fine. Not Roy, but fine.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:24 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHockeyChick View Post
Just say "Conn Smyth rookie year" and they'll assume he's fantastic.

Boomer on XM has a similar theory about players that are headed into UFA-land. He said that the past few summers have proven that it doesn't really matter what your stats are or how you've actually played or what your potential on a particular team might actually be, if you've got some sort of claim to fame or a banner year in the past, you'll get paid (Commodore would be 1 example).
Old 11-14-2008, 10:54 PM
Starter

Send a message via AIM to Jay Send a message via MSN to Jay Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Send a message via Skype™ to Jay

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...46571-sun.html (at the very end)

Quote:
The talk is the Hurricanes are going to give coach Peter Laviolette his walking papers. If they do, Laviolette could end up with Atlanta.
Per Canoe.ca, Lavi is as good as gone. As much as I want to see the team improve, I think Lavi is a great coach, and I'd be very, very sad to see him go.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:22 PM
Cap'n, Raleigh Chiefs
Starter

With *Atlanta*???? How the heck does that make any sense?
Old 11-17-2011, 08:12 AM
Bench Warmer

KINDA FUNNY/PATHETIC THAT NOT MUCH HAS CHANGED SINCE THIS THREAD WAS STARTED 3 YRS AGO!!!LOL
Old 11-17-2011, 08:52 AM
Proud mom of Natalie and Isabel
Starter

That was a depressing re-read. The more things change the more they stay the same. I had predicted PL would go, but boy was I wrong on the coach replacement! (I had said they would give the job to Rowe). Not even at my most cynical self did I even have Maurice on the radar.

I still remember the day my husband paged me at work with the "news" that Maurice had been re-hired. I told him, "well I guess that's the end of our ticket holder status." And indeed we never renewed after that. I haven't ever regretted it either.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:58 AM
Hall of Famer

Definitely odd reading!

Odd that I started the poll in Nov 2008 and that today I decided to start the other thread about Mo's (presumed) demise.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:09 AM
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nccanes View Post
Definitely odd reading!

Odd that I started the poll in Nov 2008 and that today I decided to start the other thread about Mo's (presumed) demise.
Totally insane,,,do you have a crystal ball? lol,,,just kinda funny/weird that I read this today and posted and brought this back up and we are still in the same boat!
Old 11-17-2011, 09:17 AM
Hall of Famer

I wish I had said how I voted, lol.