Jordan Staal Acquisiton & Off Season/Draft News & Notes
Last Updated on Monday, 25 June 2012 14:58
Friday night in Pittsburgh at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft was quite an event. 3 days later the hockey world is still buzzing about the trade that sent Brandon Sutter, Brian Dumoulin and the 8th pick in 2012 to Pittsburgh for Jordan Staal. Join our conversation here in the Jordan Staal thread, to say there were a myriad of emotions would be an understatement. Brandon Sutter was/is a fan favorite here and Caniacs wish him the best, along with what many believe to be a very good prospect in Brian Dumoulin.
Canes Captain Eric will make the media rounds along with GM Jim Rutherford Monday 6/25 and Tuesday 6/26 on NHL Network, 99.9 The Fan and XM Radio. Check the time and schedule here.
If you up for reading and missed some of the columns and articles on the trade during Draft weekend, here are a few good ones:
From our friends at Cardiac Cane : Canes Trade Sutter, Double Staals, Confuse Caniacs
From Yahoo Sports : Penguins trade Staal to Hurricanes win-win deal for all involved
Analysis/Fan Reaction on the Trade from Puck Daddy was really well written.
On the Draft weekend, besides the trade, the Canes did draft some guys; Read about them here.
The off season got interesting very fast. Keep up with all of the conversations right here with other fans and jump in and chat. July 1st and free agent frenzy are just days away.
Don't forget to take the survey here on this page!
This is it - End of Season Exit Interveiws
The season that had just about everything in it, but ends the way last season did--- with no playoff hockey in Raleigh is now officially over. The formalities complete with Monday's locker clean out and media interviews all done.
The 2011-2012 season is officially over and for the third straight year, the Hurricanes will not be participating in the post season. Clearly in the exit interviews all of the Canes player expressed disappointment and frustration of again being on the outside of the group of eight that will compete in the East, and offered some insight on what needs to happen, what happened in this season and what they expect of themselves for next year.
Canes GM Jim Rutherford and Head Coach Kirk Muller met with the media for one last time this season to discuss the season, the good, bad and ugly, as well as looked forward to next season and what will need to happen to get back to where the team needs to be.
Player exit interviews:
Eric Staal Cam Ward Tim Gleason Brandon Sutter
Justin Faulk Jeremy Welsh Jeff Skinner
In this piece from WRAL Sports that the Canes players are optimistic about next year.
Other end of season notes:
- Several Canes players were invited by their respective countries to represent at the IIHF World Championships in Helsinki this spring, Cam Ward & Jeff Skinner will represent Team Canada, Pat Dwyer and Justin Faulk for Team USA, Jiri Tlusty for Czech Republic and Jussi Jokinen for Finland. Tuomo Ruutu confirmation is pending and Joni Pitkanen will continue to rehab his knee and will sit out.
- Coach Kirk Muller will be an assistant for Team Canada at the World Championships
- Former Assistant Coach & a scout for the Canes this season, Tom Rowe, was named the Head Coach of Lokomotiv of the KHL. Lokomotiv as many remember was the team that parished in the horrific plane crash last fall and included on it's roster, Former Cane, Josef Vasicek. Caniac Nation wishes Coach Rowe the best.
- The NHL will hold it's Draft Lottery on Tuesday 4/10 at 7pm on TSN - Their feed will be shown in the US on NBC Sports Network. While the Canes will not have a chance at the projected 1st overall pick Nail Yakupov, they will be picking high again and it's been said this is a decent draft class and the Canes will have a chance at a solid player. For tonight's lottery, the Canes do have a chance to move up - but no higher than 4th pick.
Stay tuned Canes fans- there will be much to chat about in the off season, join the discussion on the LGC Playoff Pool and join in and make your picks! There will surely be alot to talk about in advance of the draft, as well as the UFA talk especially with Canes GM reiterating that he will go out for a top tier free agent to play with Eric Staal, and the big fish in UFA land this year will be Zach Parise.
Hearty thanks to all of the posters and Twitter followers for your contributions to the site in the 2011-12 season. The forums have been lively with participation and the conversation is always great & Twitter is a great place to connect instantly with fans who love this team above all else. It's been a trying time for Caniac Nation, but even in the darkest days of this season, people had things to say and opinions to share & mostly people gutted it out. This time next year, we'll be talkin' PLAYOFFS.
It's tough to end a season with no playoffs and have to say "wait til next year". Keep the conversation going and we'll see everyone back at Raleigh Center Ice for Camp Brind 'Amour in late August/September.
Fan Appreciation Week & Thoughts as the Season Winds Down
Last Updated on Friday, 30 March 2012 10:49
Hard to believe we are at the end of March, and as it appears now, on the outside looking in on the playoffs. The fact that the Canes made a climb out of our miserable state/bottom of the standings and put together quite a run since end of 2011/January, is a testament to the fact that the Muller hiring was the right one, and I'll agree with Luke DeCock at the N&O and his column on the Canes running out of time.
No time to sit and fret, there are 3 home games left, and I think it'll be safe to say that even though this team will likely not see post season play, they're going to after it til the end.
News & Notes for Caniacs:
- Fan Appreciation Week begins at Friday 3/30 game vs Winnepeg, A front lawn party and Jamie McBain Bobblehead night. It's also Family Night, so get your $1.00 hot dogs all night at concessions.
- On Saturday, 3/31 vs NJD, it's Stormy's Birthday bash with the mascots, and also team poster giveaway, in addition this is the annual "Jersey off the Back" player jersey giveaway. Verizon Wireless will host a front lawn party as well.
- Sunday April 1st, is the first annual Hurricanes Alumni Game, to be held at PNC Arena. Ron Francis, Glen Wesley, Rod Brind 'Amour and many other Canes alumni including Aaron Ward & Shane Willis will be at this event which is free to the public, doors open at 2pm enter at the East Entrance. Full details on the event here. See ya there!
- Thursday, April 5, will be the final Canes home game, will include a front lawn party outside, and the first 14,000 fans to enter the bldg will receive a Canes hat. Come on out for one last game of the season and show your appreciation for the hometown team.
It's been quite a season, lots of ups and downs without a doubt; but the final half has brought much to be happy about and so much to look forward to in 2012-13. Caniacs have shown great fortitude.Here's to this being the last time in awhile without playoff hockey in Raleigh.
See ya at the rink!
Canes News -Notes-Thoughts
Last Updated on Monday, 12 March 2012 10:19
Spring is here, if not technically, it's in the air. All the signs surround us, but that small hope for a playoff berth is probably the only thing we won't see here in Raleigh. As painful as it to say that, it's becoming a harsh reality.
Did you receive your Season Ticket Renewal information from the Canes last week? What do you think of the incentives? Join the conversation over here to discuss with the board. Many great incentives including a food and beverage credit & a Season Ticket Holder entrance. The org gets kudos for creativity on their offerings. We especially like the Cookout with Hurricanes Players (This is an Early Bird incentive- sign up by 3/23/12 to get the invite) and the tenure based discount at the Eye store. Check out all of the incentives here.
Cool Bars Tour - Tuesday, March 13 vs NY Rangers at the Greenville, NC Carolina Ale House Location.
Canes Corner - Tuesday, March 20, 7pm @ Backyard Bistro - Player to be Announced
Cool Bars- Tuesday, March 27, vs Toronto Maple Leafs @ the Brier Creek Carolina Ale House Location
The Canes will get to break up the road trip with a home game on Thursday, March 15 vs the red hot St. Louis Blues. This will also be the day that the RBC Center becomes PNC Arena. There will be on ice promotions & giveaways including a commemorative puck. Get your tickets, the match up against the Blues, along with the festivities, should make for a good evening.
See you at the rink!
Canes News & Notes
Last Updated on Tuesday, 14 February 2012 11:25
Much has gone on with the Canes to start the new year; the team has been going in a very positive direction, but here we are closing in on the NHL Trade Deadline. Much is being speculated about what happens next, here on the boards, there are plenty of people and pundits who will weigh in on what will happen at the deadline. We don't know yet if GM Jim Rutherford will opt to trade Tuomo Ruutu, or if an extension like Tim Gleason's is in the works. Ruutu now sidelined with an upper body injury after the game in Montreal, is still being looked at as a hot commodity. We'll know more on the injury soon. Other decisions will need to be made before the deadline will the Canes keep Spacek & Allen? Stay tuned!
Meanwhile, the Canes return to the RBC Center to take on a Western Conference opponent and playoff contender, The San Jose Sharks on Friday in what is expected to be a full house. The Canes have been on a long roadie, so it will be good to see the team back on home ice.
As always, come chat with the LGC crew here. Plenty to discuss as we close in on the last 20 or so games of the season!
Canes Upcoming HOME Games:
Friday 2/17 vs San Jose Sharks 7pm
Monday 2/20 vs Washington 7pm
Thursday 2/23 vs Anaheim 7pm
Saturday 2/25 vs Florida 7pm
Tuesday 2/28 vs Nashville 7pm
Player Appearances Around the Triangle:
Head to Backyard Bistro on Wednesday 2/15 at 7pm for Canes Corner w/Tim Gleason as special guest.
Also, Justin Faulk will participate in the Paper Hearts Campaign and appear at Carolina Ale House in Cary, PHC is a Kids & Community annual fundraiser, he'll be there from 5:30 to 6:30pm
See you around the rink Caniacs!